Pages

Friday, September 19, 2014

Homemade, From Scratch Egg Rolls

In town, we have two new Chinese buffets. David and I love Chinese food but apparently, so does the rest of our town. They are always packed, to the point that there are no spots remaining in the parking lot! While we are waiting for the fad to die down, we decided to make our own Chinese at home. A few weeks ago, we made a yakisoba (I believe I blogged about it...) and last night, we made egg rolls.

I had planned on buying the pre-made egg roll wrappers but our local grocery store doesn't carry them. I considered seeing if Walmart had them but after I looked up the recipe, it didn't seem worth it. They are super simple to make with very few, cheap ingredients that you have on hand.

This recipe is what I decided to make. I did follow a comment's suggestion of adding a little sugar to make them crispier. I'm not really sure if that worked or not but they tasted great. I only got 6 wrappers out of it because the link wants you to make wonton sized wrappers. We made ours a little bigger but they definitely weren't square. The final result didn't look like egg rolls but they tasted like them!

For the insides, we shredded half a head of cabbage and three carrots (or you can buy a prepackaged bag, like what you would buy for coleslaw) and threw in some shredded pork we had frozen before Baby was born. We added a few squirts of soy sauce and some ginger. That was all they needed. These were plenty flavorful and not necessarily authentic, but they were what we were looking for (because the Chinese buffets around here probably aren't all that authentic either).

So we combined all the filling ingredients in a large bowl. Then we put some in the middle of our dough, rolled them up whatever way made the most sense and put them on a greased baking sheet. They went in the oven for 17 minutes (15-20) at 425.

We will definitely make these again but they do take a bit of time to make the wrappers by hand. My suggestion is to chop up all the vegetables while you are waiting the 30 minutes for your dough to be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment