Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Joining a Gym

We recently signed up our 8 month old daughter for swim lessons. Obviously, she won't actually be learning how to swim. It's more just to get her used to the water and to give her something to do and get out of the house (or maybe that's just me?). It is at a local fitness center so the price per lesson is cheaper if you are a member. We decided it's not worth it for her to be a member since this is the only activity for her age group. However, after our tour of the place, it got me thinking about joining.

A few years ago, I belonged to a YMCA and I went frequently. I did all sorts of classes, worked out on my own, and played in the pool. I really enjoyed it. The only reason I stopped going was because I moved 300 miles away for college and now marriage. I had briefly thought about joining a gym when I first moved out here but it was a cost I wasn't willing to pay. I ran outside just about daily and did a little weight training on my own at home.

Now that I still have a little pregnancy weight to get rid of and lots of toning to do, I find it hard to get back into it. I really think the classes would help me. They are even at times before and after my husband's job so he can watch the baby while I work out. Our center also offers to watch your child for up to 2 hours (FOR FREE!) while you go work out. That is extremely exciting for me. I'm just still a little unsure about joining. It comes out to about $1/day if I go every day.

Here is my list (that hopefully you will find even slightly helpful for your own dilemma) of why it would be good to join:

  • classes give me motivation. Having specific times something is happening makes it that much harder to skip
  • between lots of different classes, a pool, a large basketball court, and lots of fitness machines there is a lot of variety that I don't get at home
  • time for myself and doing something that is just for me (this seems especially important after having a baby)
  • it is close to home so it will be quite convenient to drop by at any time of day (or in any season)
  • socialize and meet new people
  • being around positive people with similar goals
I am sure there are other reasons and obviously they won't all apply to you but hopefully I have helped you make your decision. After a lot of debating, I think the cost is worth it. Some insurances will even give you a cheaper rate if you join a gym because typically, it makes you healthier. I am going to join! 

No comments:

Post a Comment