Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

My Official Reusable Pads

I have finally found the perfect combination of layers and absorbency for my reusable pads. I have discussed using them before but I never got it quite right. Then I took a hiatus on it for a while, got pregnant (rendering anything I made untestable), and just recently got back to it. So far, I only have 2 made, 1 one of each size (regular and overnights) but these are just so perfect! As I find more time, I will be sewing more. Although, I also recently ordered a Moon Cup so with that coming, I'm not sure how many more I'll need.

I know this probably grosses out some readers but you would not believe the difference reusable pads make! Even if you ignore the money you'll save, the environmental factors, and the fact you can make them to your specific needs, these are great! They are more comfortable, I have heard they shorten your cycle, you're not putting chemicals anywhere near your body, they are cute, and I just find them a huge improvement! You can google more about it if you are curious about the other factors.

Since I only have one for now (for daytime), I am still using disposables. I can tell there is immediately a huge difference when I switch from my reusable back to my disposable or vice versa. Mine are just about as thin, don't make that awful crinkly noise, don't have the wings stick to my legs (I can't be the only one with that problem), and just feel more comfortable!

I made my daytimes 10in x 4 in but that includes a 1/4 in seam allowance (and some room for trimming since my layers didn't end up exactly even). It is very important to prewash all fabrics you will be using or you will experience some shrinkage in the wash, and all the fabrics will shrink down to the same size.

I have a flannel layer on top, then a layer of t-shirt (literally, I cut up an old t shirt), followed by a microfiber cloth (like the kind you get the automotive aisle), a layer of vinyl-y type stuff, and lastly a layer of pretty polyester (I'm sorry I can't get more specific than polyester but it's thin and reminds me of a linen). I know that sounds like a lot of layers but since most of them are really thin, I promise these pads won't feel bulky. So you cut all of those layers to 10x4. Then layer it all out and sew with your polyester layer and your flannel layer right sides together (so you can sew all the way around, leave a gap, and flip it out with your seams on the inside). Sew closed your gap. Then figure out how long you want the wings (I measured what I would need using my underwear). I used a flannel layer for the top and a polyester layer on the bottom. Right sides together, sew, flip, sew closed. Attach wings to the back of the pad by pinning and sewing the square where they overlap. Add a snap to the wings and boom! You're done! I do take it one step farther because I have a problem where mine like to slip around so I write something (usually my name) in puffy paint on the bottom.

The only difference between my day times and my night times is length. My night times are a couple inches longer and the back flares out just a bit, giving me more coverage. If you are a sewer, these are so simple to make. They are also easy to care for. I wash mine like how I wash everything else but then I hang them up to dry instead of putting them in the dryer. I also know some people soak them in cold water between the time they are done using them and the time they do laundry and the time they do laundry and then use the water as fertilizer for their flowers. It's actually a really healthy thing for the plants.

I can't rave about these enough! I hope you enjoy them just as much as I do. Of course if you don't sew, you can always have me sew you some (for a fee of course, but I will try to be as cheap as I can about it) and just let me know in the comments what you're looking for!

No comments:

Post a Comment