Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cake

For Cocoa's birthday, I made a (human) cake. The recipe was found here http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-chip-cake/ 

I made it in an angel food pan since we don't really have cake pans, especially those round ones they asked for. I used another user's suggestion and baked it for 45 minutes. The batter was rather thin so all the chocolate sunk to the bottom (and got stuck to the pan even though David sprayed that thing like crazy). I'm not sure how to adjust for that next time. Maybe add less milk? I'm not sure.

We also made the mistake of leaving our oven on preheat instead of bake so that leaves the broiler on so the top was burned. It didn't taste burned but it sure didn't look appetizing. It was a very good cake. The part between the burned and the chocolate was very buttery. I happen to like that flavor but it's not for everybody. This recipe did use a lot of butter though (I can't come up with one way this cake could be considered healthy--sorry. I tried.)

I would make it again but I might do it when we have more people around to help us eat it because it got dried out rather quick. It was best just straight out of the oven (but isn't everything?). I would wonder if it would come out different in the round pans but I kind of doubt it.

We even used part wheat flour, like suggested. David thought he could taste it but I didn't notice a difference. I will mention that a lot of the users thought it used too much baking powder. Also, the recipe says that you could make a glaze or something with this but I don't think it needs one. It is plenty rich and flavorful without one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment