Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

Sewing Feet

I was given a bunch of Brother sewing machine accessories (for those of you wondering, my newest machine is a Brother LX2500) from David's aunt because she no longer has a Brother machine and sewing machines are pretty specific about what accessories fit. I was grateful and excited but when I opened the bag, I only knew what one thing was (a second spool holder). I assumed a lot of it was cool and useful but I just had no idea what I was looking at.

Well, the other day I finally looked it up. It was kind of hard to tell sometimes if the picture they were showing me was mine or not but the letters on the feet helped. This website was a tremendous help and almost everything I had was on there. I think the most useful foot (to me) I got was the blind stitch foot because it will make for a perfect stitch (that my cheap--not fancy, machine knows how to do!) for the curtains I'll be making in the living room. I also have lots of things for buttons and buttonholes but haven't really learned those yet. I usually sew my buttons on my hand and only just recently learned you can machine sew them on.

The only thing I really truly didn't know what was it was after reading through the website was my quilting guide bar. Seeing this thing just baffled me. I even tried to describe it to my mother-in-law (the quilter) and she didn't know what I was talking about until David sent her a picture. I'm still not exactly clear on what you use it for (something about parallel lines?) but since I don't really quilt, I'll probably never use it anyway.

I think the only useful foot that I now don't have is a quarter inch foot. Of course, as I sew more things, my needs will change but this one is very convenient at David's mom's house when we sew there on Sundays because then you never have to worry about following the line on your machine, you just follow the edge of the foot.

And I've already used the walking foot for working on my leaves! That is a big foot but it sure makes things easier when working with lots of layers or thick layers of fabric. If you don't have one, I do think you should for sure add it to your collection.

So now I'm even more excited about my machine because of all my feet but also because I changed the thread in it for the first time yesterday all by myself! (I had previously done it mostly by myself and was pretty proud then but I did need help getting it around the needle guide bar. This time I didn't--although that step sure is tricky!).

No comments:

Post a Comment