Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Wet/Dry Bag

Do you remember way back when in March or earlier and I was working on making a wet/dry bag for my reusable pads? Well, I finally finished it this weekend! The project was started on my old sewing machine and it was basically my first machine project. It was also my first (and so far, only) project with a zipper. I was getting the instructions as to how to make it from David's mom. Then we kind of forgot about the project and by the time I rediscovered it, it had been months and I still didn't know the next step. It turns out, all I had left to do was sew along three of the four sides (not the zipper side for obvious reasons) and I was done. It literally took about two minutes to finish and I had been waiting months to finish it. Kind of funny. It definitely feels good to have it done though.

So the basic design is based off a bag I already have but this one has a liner (for the dirty pads) and a center piece (kind of like some wallets have) to keep the clean from the touching the dirty. The final bag only measures 8 x 5 but I think it is a handy size for even a smaller purse. I also had the option to square the bottom but decided not to since squaring the bottom on my tote bag was such a pain.

Obviously due to being pregnant, I haven't been able to try it out yet. I'm still excited for it and I think it's awfully cute. You could also use this design for anything else that you want two compartments for.

The outside takes less than a fat quarter and that's all you need if you don't want to line it. If you do want a liner, that'll also be less than a fat quarter but since I used a different fabric, I'm not sure if one fat quarter would do the job or if you'd be better off with two. The divider part also has interfacing in it (what doesn't?) to make it stiffer. It doesn't really matter what thickness you use since you'll be folding that piece in half anyway.

I'm not going to put all the details here but if you are interested, let me know and I'll see what I can help you with. This type of bag is very easy to make, not like the tote bag.

I apologize for the blurry, dark pictures. I was kind of in a hurry. Also, for the one with the center thing, it actually is the right size and doesn't bend like that naturally. I just bent it so it was easier to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment