Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Sewing Patterns and Kits

I have a hard time finding new things to make unless I specifically know what I want to make. This sounds kind of weird if you don't understand what I mean. For instance, if I know I want to make a table runner, I can find lots of patterns and ones I like. But if I am just looking for my next project, it's hard to find something that specific that I want to make. Because of this, I have found it easier to look through pattern books. I'm not sure if there's really a difference but I can always find something I want to make in a book that I can't always find searching online.

I recently found the sewing section at my local library and they had a book about suggested things to make before your baby (or someone else's, like for a baby shower) arrives! I now have about ten new ideas of things I want to make. This is in addition to the pattern I bought a few days ago that also makes a lot of baby stuff (I'm always surprised how many things you can make by buying one pattern. No wonder they're so expensive--at least I think so.)

When I was down on inspiration, David bought me a kit to make a tote bag. It includes instructions and all the fabric you'll need. You just need to cut it and sew it. I was very excited especially because lately, all the things I want to make require things I don't have. Well, it turns out that these aren't as easy as I thought they would be. I'm not sure why but I had it in my head that if it's part of a kit, it must be easier than following a pattern or something. It's definitely not.

First, the finished cut fabric size was bigger than my cutting mat so that was a struggle to figure out how to make it work. (Good thing they give you some wiggle room so there are scraps leftover). Then, I'm not sure how it happened but my bobbin (in my machine) came unclipped from the needle thing (obviously, I know all the technical terms). This caused my tension to get all messed up, which of course I didn't immediately realize. I don't think it's bad enough that I need to redo it but it doesn't look as nice either.

I'm about halfway done now and I'm surprised I even made it that far because the instructions, even though they came with pictures, are quite confusing.

So I think they are good in theory, but patterns may be better. Plus, then you have more of a choice of what fabric to make it out of. Maybe I'll try another one when I am not as confused by sewing instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment