Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Sleeping Eye Mask and 2nd Leaf

Also over this weekend, I made an eye mask (the type used for sleeping). I had some elastic left over from my bag bag project and I wasn't sure what to do with it, especially since I had such a hard time getting it in the casing. This was the perfect solution because I didn't have to run it through anything and it was almost the exact amount I needed (I may have an inch or two leftover..). This was a really simple project that took me about a half hour. I found the instructions here but it did take some deciphering to figure out what to do (I, for some reason, can't really read other people's instructions (even with pictures) and know what to do after the first read-through. The elastic step really made me pause for a while but looking back, there was no reason to be so confused.)

I had some soft cotton fabric for the outsides and then I used a black felt for the inside. I only top stitched it once (and I stitched the opening closed too because the top stitch wasn't close enough to the edge for that) and I admit, it's not very good but it was my first time top stitching anything.

It really blocks out light well but I haven't used it for sleeping yet. You could make a casing for the elastic if you'd rather but I think it's just fine this way.

In case you were interested, I finished the leaf for David's coworker last night. I did make a few mistakes this time, such as forgetting to make my browns (the veins) thinner than the rest of the strips and then I ran out of that fancy brown to use for the stem so I had to use plain brown (although I do like it this way). However, I did not do one side upside down this time so it does make the v's I was talking about before. I also had to use a different fabric for the back since I ran out of the other stuff but I think this goes with the requested fall theme.

I also top stitched it along the veins and down the stem. I still need to do that on mine but now that I have my walking foot, I can do that pretty quickly. This top stitching turned out better than my sleeping mask top stitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment