Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Stuffed Turtle

I made a stuffed turtle! My picture doesn't do it justice but if you look at the tutorial I used, you can get a better idea. Mine has four different greens for the shell sections and then the head, feet, tail, and belly are all the same. I think it turned out really cute. It was fairly simple to make as well.

I will note that the tutorial includes the pattern but I couldn't make it print big enough. The two inch test square is more like an inch and a half so my turtle is a little smaller but everything still worked out okay. In this project, I learned how to sew and stuff tiny things (like the feet and tail) and I did struggle with it but it worked out well. I didn't pay enough attention to my seam allowances, mostly because the pieces were small and hard to work with, so on a few of my pieces you can see the seams on the outside. If I were to give this as a present, I think I'd try to fix that but since it's just for me, I'm leaving them. They bother me but they don't look awful.

Sewing the shells seemed to be the hardest part because of the curves and they didn't look like they formed a circle to me but in the end, I think that's the part that turned out the best! Definitely took me by surprise.

Now that I have made this, I feel like I could make other stuffed animals. I did like that this one didn't need any unusual supplies like to make the eyes or mouth (there are no eyes or mouth). Some things call for that but I don't think I"m ready to go out and buy that stuff yet. This is my first project I have come across in a long time that didn't even use interfacing! All you need is some scraps (I did use fat quarters but you don't need something that big), regular sewing supplies (machine, thread, rotary cutter, pins, etc), and fiberfill. That's it!

This project could easily be made in an afternoon and it turns out so cute. Here is how mine turned out (I once again apologize for the bad picture.)

So his head is on the left and you can't see his tail. What you may think is his tail is actually another leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment