Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Black Beans

Black beans are delicious by themselves but this weekend, I was looking for a good side dish for cheese quesadillas. I had a general idea of how to season them and cook them so they will taste good and I had a few suggestions from different websites. I looked in my pantry and decided to add a can of tomatoes with garlic and onions. I was going to use broth or water for the beans to boil in but the juice from the tomatoes worked really well. Then I added a couple dashes of cumin. I cooked the whole thing over medium-high heat, stirring frequently and mashing a little bit with the back of my spoon to let out some of the starches for the beans to absorb the liquid. Once they  got to a consistency I liked (about 20-25 minutes), I took them off the heat and added a little bit of lime juice. These were AMAZING! I wasn't sure I would even like the lime juice but I had brought it a couple weeks ago because a lot of recipes I have been wanting to try include it so I figured since it's inexpensive, I'd give it a try. It makes a world of difference with these beans. If you make these, definitely don't leave it out! Let me know what you think of them in the comments if you do decide to make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment