Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Blind Date With a Book

Some libraries (unfortunately, not mine) are starting this program called blind date with a book. It's exactly what it sounds like. We are all guilty of judging a book by its cover (literally) so in an effort to branch out on your reading, libraries are starting to cover some of their books (like the ones on display, not the entire library) with blank covers and then on these covers they write a little blurb about the book or even just some genre, generic words (just enough to catch your attention). I think this is a GREAT idea! I do find myself saying no to some books because of the author of the cover art and I think this is a way to branch out to other genres or books I might not otherwise consider. On the same note, I feel bad for the books that are placed on the bottom shelf because I feel like people read these less often due to the shelf location. Who ever looks on the bottom shelf? You practically have to sit on the floor or bend completely in half just to read their titles!

One last rant: Can anyone explain the library of congress way of classifying books? To me, it makes absolutely NO sense. I grew up with the dewey decimal system and that doesn't really make sense to me either but it seems much more consistent and easier to find things.

No comments:

Post a Comment