Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Our Garden Has Been Started

I know I've been talking about food a lot lately but my crafts are kind of in a stand still, cleaning is the same as always, and the house is progressing but I'm waiting for something to be officially done before I comment on it (for instance, the bathroom tiles are half in, the living room is almost ready to be painted, etc). So about a week ago we started planting our indoor vegetables because some things you can plant right away (in the middle of May, after the last frost) and some you have to start indoors and transplant to the garden in May. We looked through our vegetables and our broccoli and our tomatoes are the only things that need to be planted inside. We bought the little trays with good soil and planted them last Sunday.

Our broccoli started growing about 2 days in and now we have almost 20 plants (a couple seeds per cube, lots of cubes. They may not make it all to the garden or we'll end up freezing LOTS.)! Our tomatoes still haven't started growing yet. I haven't looked anything up but I do wonder if broccoli is easier to grow. We have several gardening books that we will reference when it comes time to plant the other stuff but maybe they'd give me information on tomatoes vs. broccoli too.

Also, our garden area in the yard is small considering how many seeds we bought. We haven't started landscaping the backyard yet (we still need to build our back deck and that) but maybe we'll make our garden bigger than we did last year. When May comes, I'll have to give you all an update on how everything is going in the yard.




Later addition: I did look it up. Since we don't keep our house above 60 degrees, our tomatoes can take up to two weeks to start sprouting (if they were closer to 75, it would still take a week). So I guess they just grow slower.

No comments:

Post a Comment