Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

Sun Dried Tomatoes, Pizza, and Fajitas!

Wow I sure I have a lot of food posts lately but I've been trying to make more wholesome, from scratch meals and they all excite me so much that I can't help but share them all with you!

Last night, I made asparagus shrimp fajitas. I found the recipe online and I tweaked it a little bit. Basically, you saute onion (I used a half yellow but you can use anything), pound of asparagus, and a large red bell pepper. Normally for fajitas, you'd leave these things in strips but for the sake of eating them politely, I chopped everything up. Then you add a splash of lime juice and a sprinkle of chili powder (can you tell I don't measure anything?) to a pound of shrimp (we only had 4 oz but next time I would use more) and add to the vegetables. Cook until heated through and you're done. Minus prep, the whole thing takes about 10 minutes. I put mine in a tortilla shell with tomatoes but David topped his with cheese. There are so many variations of this recipe you could make too. You could also very easily leave out the shrimp or add in something else (chicken, steak, more vegetables).

Then this morning I was going to make sun dried tomatoes (in the oven) because I have a couple left over and I heard that roma tomatoes are perfect for this. Plus, I wanted them to top the pizza I'm making tonight (more on that in a sec). It turns out it takes about 12 hours (you can do it in a dehydrator for like 8 hours or in a car parked in the sun in about two days) but that hardly turned me off. It sounded easy and tasty. Then I realized, you do this with pounds and pounds of tomatoes (like trying to use them up out of the garden) so since I only have two (and I might have one at lunch) I decided it wasn't worth it this time but I definitely plan on doing it in the future, maybe even using the actual sun. (I would use the sun today but we got about 4 inches of snow overnight despite the fact that it's the middle/end of April).

And finally, tonight I am making pizza from scratch. I'm making my own crust and my own sauce (none of that prepackaged stuff for me!). I'm running out of vegetables though so it might just be cheese to top it with. David and I have actually made this recipe before about 2 years ago. It only takes 2 hours for everything. I'm hoping that it won't be a problem that I don't have a rolling pin (that got a little tricky to do the pot pie crust without one) but I really should get one. They can't be that expensive and it's probably worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment