Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pot Pie

Last night I made pot pie. It had lots of vegetables in it (some that the recipe didn't even call for. I was glad it still fit in a pie tin.) It wasn't completely from scratch because I did use a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup (reduced sodium. That's got to earn me some points) and better than bouillon vegetable broth mix. Next time, I would actually leave out the broth mix but I'm not sure a good substitute for the mushroom soup. I did make the crust from scratch though. That was kind of hard without a rolling pin but I made it work. The thing was SO delicious but I'm glad it was because it took me about 3 hours to make (including prep. A normal person could probably do it in about 2 or 2 and a half.) Good thing David was home late yesterday because normally we eat around 5 and this wasn't done until after 7 (yeah, we eat kind of early. I blame our parents. They always ate early so we're just used to it.) I've never made anything like this before and actually, neither of us have ever had a homemade pot pie before so it was an entirely new experience. I really liked it, especially kneading the dough for the crust so maybe, despite my breadmaker, I'll have to try my hand at making breads from scratch. Or I could just make pies now that I know how to do the crust! I think this has inspired me to try to cook more elaborate things in the future (although David has already requested that I start making this recipe 3 times a week----it was THAT good). I'll be sure to keep you all posted if I make something else really cool. As per my April resolutions, I've been trying to cook things from scratch more but I don't always have the patience for it. I did buy a bag of dried beans instead of a can of beans though to help with this so...we'll just have to see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment